4.21.2010

Celebrating Earth Week In The Kitchen

When the dude and I first started dating, he mentioned that I was a little bit of a hippie. It's true! I may love to wear the tallest heels that I can find, but I've always been a little Earth conscious and um...cheap.

Here's some of the little things that we do to be a little nicer to Earth in the kitchen:

We compost our veggies, egg shells and coffee grounds. The Compost Bucket from gaiam.com does a great job of holding the yucky stuff until we take it to our compost pile in the back yard. The filters keep everything from getting stinky (um, yeah we've left some scraps in there way too long once and no funky stink from the bucket was detected). I know that there are cuter compost buckets on the market, but I'm cheap and it was a good price.

All of our compost made some awesome dirt that we used for our raised veggie beds. Oh the circle of life!


We haven't purchased small plastic bags in about two years. Washing them out and turning the bag inside-out seems to work for us. Aluminum foil also gets a rinse and reuse. I think I need to pick up this bag dryer from cooking.com to help in the drying process.

Remember the post where I made my own All-purpose cleaner. I'm still using it and actually just made another batch (this time with some drops of peppermint-grapefruit oil). This is another diy project that shows that you can be eco-friendly and not spend a boat load of money. This cleaner also makes my gas stove top really shiny.

Do you have any eco-friendly kitchen tips to share?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEAR LISA,
    PLEASE MAKE A BATCH OF THAT CLEANING STUFF FOR LAUREN. SHE NEEDS TO START EARNING HER KEEP.

    SIGNED,
    CORPSE ARM

    ReplyDelete